Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Mexican Casserole

I am not one to waste food.  While our fiesta last week was amazing, we had so much seasoned ground beef leftover.  This is one of two posts where I used leftover beef- I will spacing them about a week apart on the blog but made all the recipes within a week of browning the ground beef originally.  I also could have frozen the beef and made separate recipes that way, but I wanted to see if I could use the same main ingredient and make different tasting recipes.  While we eat lots of Mexican food the week after the fiesta, I was happy with how well re-purposing the seasoned ground beef went.

Mexican Casserole


Ingredients
Tortillas (I had leftover homemade ones)
1 lb seasoned ground beef
1/2 bag frozen corn
1 can black beans, drained
1/2 bag frozen pepper mix
2 diced tomatoes (fresh)
1/4 cup cilantro, chopped
cumin
crushed red pepper
1/3 cup salsa
1/2 to 1 cup reduced fat shredded cheese

Ingredients
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Spray large casserole dish with cooking spray.  Add layer of tortillas.  Layer ground beef, corn, black beans, peppers, tomatoes, and cilantro.  Sprinkle cumin and crushed red pepper (for spice).

Add another layer of tortillas.  Spread salsa on top of tortillas and spread cheese.


Cook for about 30 minutes.  Serves 6, 8 points a serving!

2 comments:

  1. Sounds delish! How many points plus is a serving?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the reminder :) Serves 6, 8 points a serving!

      Delete