Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Fiesta!

Austin and I hosted a Mexican fiesta over the weekend, and we had a great time hosting the party.  With our wedding coming up, I had my first bridal shower earlier this month.  I received so many amazing presents, and I couldn't wait to use them.  My philosophy is that we can use the gifts once thank you notes were sent out, so I wrote those notes and mailed them right away :)  Our fiesta was the first time I could use some of the great serving pieces family and friends gave us!

Fiesta Menu
Seasoned ground beef
Homemade Tortillas
Taco Fixings- Tomatoes, Cheese, Sour Cream, Salsa, Lettuce, Sauteed Onions, Guacamole
Cilantro Lime Rice
Sangria
Chips and Salsa
Dos Equis, Budweisers' Lime-A- Ritas (surprisingly taste like a margarita), and Corona
Brownies and S'mores Cookies

Austin decorated the house with red, green, and white streamers, and we were even able to show off our new dining room set (yay Craigslist!).

I made a lazy person's Sangria- 1 large bottle Arbor Mist Sangria, 1 bottle red wine, orange slices, lime slices, and cut strawberries.  Yum!


The tortillas were super easy to make.  I bought a Quaker mix for tortillas, and all it took was adding water to the mix.  While they were easy to make, they were very time consuming, especially because I made 36.  I'm glad we have an electric griddle, so I could make 3-4 tortillas at a time.  With my next attempt at tortilla making, I will do my best to make them circular :)

Making tortillas!
Finished product- I think they look pretty good!
I also made Cilantro Lime Rice.  I think it might be a little healthy than Chipotle's version since I used brown rice.  Thanks to Two Peas and Their Pod for the recipe.



Ingredients
1 cup uncooked brown rice
1 teaspoon butter
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 teaspoons freshly squeezed lime juice
1 (15 ounce) can vegetable broth
1 cup water
1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lime juice
2 teaspoons granulated sugar
4 tablespoons fresh chopped cilantro

Directions
In a saucepan combine rice, butter, garlic, 2 teaspoons of lime juice, broth and water. Bring to a boil. Cover and cook on low 15-20 minutes, until rice is tender. Remove from heat. In a small bowl, whisk together lime juice, sugar, and cilantro. Pour over hot cooked rice and mix.

It was a wonderful fiesta!!

Pre-party!
Post-party...



4 comments:

  1. Two thumbs up on the tortillas and the rice!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay!!! I'm going to miss you this summer :(

      Delete
  2. My tortillas were not round as well! Haha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's how you know they're homemade, right?

      Delete