Sunday, May 6, 2012

Creamy Chicken Lasagna

One of our blog followers (yay Chad Bolt!) recommended a great lasagna recipe from Runner's World.  I am not a runner by any means, but I know a great recipe when I see it.  I got lazy and used canned chicken instead of cooking some fresh, and that could have been a mistake, lol.  This was delicious fresh made but actually better as leftovers because you couldn't taste the canned chicken :)  A little higher in points (14 a serving) but hearty and cheesy and awesome!  Thanks for the recommendation, Chad.

Creamy Chicken Lasagna


Ingredients
15 oven-ready, lasagna noodles
4 cups shredded cooked chicken
1 1/2 tsp dried basil
8 ounces low fat cream cheese, softened
1/2 cup chicken broth
3 cups marinara sauce
3 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
3/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese



Directions
Heat oven to 400° F. 

Combine chicken, basil, 6 ounces of cream cheese, and 1/4 cup broth. 

Mix remaining cream cheese and broth in a separate bowl. 

Spread 1/3 cup marinara on the bottom of a large baking dish; assemble 4 layers as follows: 3 noodles, 2/3 cup marinara sauce, 1 cup chicken mixture, 3/4 cup mozzarella, and 2 tbs Parmesan. Top with last noodles, the broth mixture, and the remaining cheeses. 

Cover with foil and bake 45 minutes. Then, turn oven to broil, remove foil and broil until golden brown, about 5 minutes. 






6 comments:

  1. I'm so glad you enjoyed it, it's one of my favorite recipes. My least favorite part of it is baking the chicken and shredding it ahead of time too, but I think it's worth it! What did Austin think?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He liked it! Because of the canned chicken, I think it might have tasted better as leftovers :) That's great for me because one night's dinner becomes my lunch for the rest of the week! Send more recipes our way!!

      Delete
  2. Pad thai! I swap out the tofu (not my style) for grilled chicken. http://www.wholefoodsmarket.com/recipes/1769

    ReplyDelete
  3. You read my mind :) I bought stuff to make pad thai at the grocery store on Saturday! It's a Weight Watchers recipe, so I'll have to compare with yours!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. this looks AMAZING! I am a new follower to ur blog & I cant wait to try out ur recipes...I'm DEF in need of some healthy stuff because I am seriously struggling to lose the weight I need to!
    -Carrie Eve @
    www.a-hooahs-housewife.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad you stopped by! It was delicious :) Let me know how it goes when you make it! Stopped by your blog and noticed that you love carbs too....one of the hardest things for me about starting a "diet" was not being able to eat as many carbs. But it's been a lot easier than I expected- meals like this help but also making things like risotto, polenta, and then some different grains.

    ReplyDelete