Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Black Bean and Quinoa Griddle Cakes

Have you checked out the Picky Eater Blog?  If not, you should!  I have been following Anjali since I started Food Ramblings, and my most common comment is "I can't wait to try this!"

Finally, I am trying one of her recipes.  It was worth the wait because this griddle cakes were good!  The do fall apart when flipping them, and you can make them more veggie burger like by adding an egg.

I adapted the recipe a bit with the ingredients I had at home.  One of those was with peppers.  The original recipe called for yellow and red peppers.  I had a green red pepper and what I call a "scary, red pepper."  Good substitutes-- added a little extra spice.

Scary, red pepper is the one on the right.  These are all veggies
we got from the CSA that I have idea what they are :)
Black Bean and Quinoa Griddle Cakes


Ingredients
3/4 cup quinoa, cooked according to package instructions (should be with 1 1/2 cups water)
15 oz can black beans, rinsed and drained
6 green onions, chopped halfway up
1 green pepper, diced
1 red scary pepper, diced
3-5 oz low-fat mozzarella cheese
3 tsp cumin
2 tsp chili powder
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
A few squeezes of lemon juice
Salt and pepper to taste

Directions
Cook quinoa according to package directions and chop veggies.  Add all other ingredients to cooked quinoa and mix well.

Form small patties using all of the quinoa mixture with your hands. Heat a pan over medium heat that was sprayed with cooking spray, and pan fry each patty until both sides are slightly crispy and golden brown.

Serve with salsa (me) or bbq sauce (Austin).

6 comments:

  1. I haven't, but I'll totally check out that site. Thanks for the recipe!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Quinoa is a favorite. So healthy and tasty!
    This looks amazing! will try it out soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I still need to work on qunioas with my family, especially my children. Just checked her site, and she's from SF too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love trying different flavors for quinoa cakes - and this one with black beans served with salsa sounds delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I made something similar, I mixed quinoa with polenta. I love quinoa and I always look for new quinoa based recipe. This must be very good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ohh...I'll have to try that- thanks for the suggestion :)

      Delete