Friday, July 6, 2012

Kucoots

Kucoots is one of my favorite summer meals.  Growing up, my mom always had a vegetable garden full of zucchinis and tomatoes, making kucoots a staple.  I actually have no idea where the name came from, and google-ing this recipe name yielded no results on the recipe's origins :(

The meal is light and fresh and could be served over any grain.  We normally use pasta, but I think it would be great over couscous next time I make it.

If you make a big pot of kucoots, eat what you want for one meal and save the rest of a winter night when you need a taste of summer :)

Kucoots


Ingredients
1 28 oz can, diced tomatoes with basil and oregano
1 large zucchini (or 3 small), peeled and quartered
1 summer squash, quartered
3-4 small red potatoes, cleaned and quartered
2 Tbs sugar
1 tsp salt
4 garlic cloves, minced
1/2 tsp pepper
2 tsp basil
1 Tbs olive oil to coat pan

Directions
Coat saucepan with olive oil.  Add garlic and cook until browned.  Add rest of ingredients, bring to boil and then simmer.  Cook until potatoes can be pierced easily with a fork.

Serve over pasta.  I normally make angel hair, but rotini works too (it's all I had in the cupboard!).

Serves 6, 8 points a serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment