Friday, July 20, 2012

Beer and Cheddar Cheese Risotto


I have pasta on the brain- I have been craving something rich and creamy, and risotto absolutely fills the role...yum.  Beer, cheese, Italian, and risotto.  I am in heaven- thank to Gourmet Betty for helping with this craving!

Beer and Cheddar Cheese Risotto


Ingredients
1 Tbs extra-virgin olive oil
1 small onion (I used a scallion because I was all out on onions- gasp!)
1 garlic clove, chopped
1 12oz beer (I used Sam Adams Coastal Wheat)
1 1/2 cup fat free, low sodium chicken broth
1 cup arborio rice
1 Tbsp unsalted butter
1/4 pound Italian sausage (casings removed)
1/4 cup cheddar cheese (reduced fat)
1/2 bag fresh spinach, chopped
Salt, pepper

Directions
In a medium to large saucepan, heat oil over medium heat. Add the onion, garlic, and Italian sausage.  Cook and break apart sausage.

At the same time, heat up broth in a small pot and keep warm.

Once the sausage is cooked, add the rice and stir until toasted, about 4 minutes.

Add a third of the beer to the toasted rice, cook until liquid is absorbed, then continue to add beer 2 more times until the bottle is empty.  Then add the broth is 1/2 cup increments. Wait until the liquid is absorbed before adding additional liquid to the pan.

Cook until the rice is tender and creamy. Stir in the butter, cheese, and spinach until well mixed.  Add Salt and Pepper to taste.  Serve and enjoy!

Serves 4, 11 points a serving.

8 comments:

  1. You had me at hello. I read the title and I was sold.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks terrific. And the addition of the Italian sausage is sure to go over well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you like it! The sausage added a little spice too.

      Delete
  3. BEER! Haha, I have never cooked with beer. I keep seeing ths cookbook "cooking with beer" whenever I go through the checkout, but I never thought I would want to (I have very low alcohol tolerance) But I'm sure it would be okay if I cook with it? Anyways, this looks great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Normally, the alcohol cooks out of the beer. But I would only recommend cooking with beer that you like to drink :) You want to make sure it's a tasty flavor. Girly beers work for me since they are a little lighter and risotto is already heavy. Let me know if you add booze to any of your recipes :)

      Delete
  4. Oh lord.... I saw your comment on Cookies and Cups and had to come straight over. Um, I have no words. Except for I need to make this. Like right now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You won't be disappointed :) Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  5. I love risotto! I'm not a beer drinker but I don't mind using it for cooking at all. How interesting that beer is in this delicious risotto!

    ReplyDelete