Sunday, January 22, 2012

Dinner without a Plan

A big focus of our Weight Watchers meeting this past week was planning.   I had the best intentions, but when Thursday night came along, I had no idea what I was making for dinner.  On top of that, we had friends coming over for dinner in an hour.

Looked in the fridge and found frozen tilapia...perfect!  Defrosted it in a bowl of hot water and pre-heated the oven to 325 degrees.  Salad dressings and marinades are one in the same for me, so I used sun-dried tomato flavor dressing-- spread a couple tablespoons on the fish and popped it in the oven for 20 minutes.

As sides, we had frozen green beans and cheddar-broccoli rice (Knorr rice sides, made according to package directions, with the exception of the butter).  While the meal itself wasn't necessarily planned until the last minute, every item in the pantry and fridge are already labeled with their PointsPlus values.  Assembling the meal was easy enough since I know what the points were as I was deciding to add to the meal.


Fish was 3 points, marinade 1 (probably lower since the total points- 4- were split between 5 pieces of fish), rice 6, and green beans 0.  Then our friends brought cake (delicious-- 4 points per small piece) paired with pumpkin ice cream (3).  17 points-- not the best but we were entertaining and the dessert was worth the points.  I went 2 into my weekly points, so nothing to feel too bad about.

Today, however, I have planned and am sitting writing as my Manhattan Clam Chowder simmers.  Pictures and the recipe to come!

1 comment:

  1. i like the idea of having a plan but i generally dont like following it. :P

    ReplyDelete