Monday, January 23, 2012

Manhattan Clam Chowder

I'm not sure how it happened, but I never had Manhattan Clam Chowder during the last 25 years on Earth....until last night.  I made my own-- I thought it was pretty tasty, even though I have nothing to compare it to.  It was great to make during a Sunday afternoon since it made the house smell awesome!

Austin is a great potato peeler (and he got a haircut on Sunday, so he looks extra handsome!).  I hate peeling potatoes, so I am so happy that he doesn't mind doing one of the things in the kitchen I dislike.  Growing up my mom and grandma both had gadgets that peeled potatoes, so I never had to peel a potato, apple, etc without the aid of the "stripper," but I can't find one now that I have my own kitchen :(

Again, we (I) was too hungry to remember to take a picture, so below you'll see the pot of chowder and a picture I borrowed from the Weight Watchers website.  I adapted the recipe from them too, using canned clams instead of fresh (cooking clams makes me nervous....).  If I were to do it again, I would cover the pot when simmering the soup; we lost too much liquid when it was simmering.


Fresh Manhattan Clam Chowder

Ingredients

Instructions

  • In a large heavy pot, sauté bacon over medium-high heat until crispy, about 5 to 6 minutes; remove bacon, crumble it and set aside.
  • In the same pot, heat olive oil over medium heat for about 1 minute. Add onions, carrots, celery and potatoes; stir vegetables, scraping bacon drippings from bottom of pot with a wooden spoon, to mix and coat. Cook, stirring occasionally, until onions wilt, about 10 to 15 minutes; add clam juice, tomatoes, thyme, bay leaf, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil for about 1 minute and then reduce heat to medium-low; simmer, uncovered, until potatoes are tender, about 50 minutes.
  • Add clams to soup, cover and increase heat to high. Boil soup just until clams open, about 6 to 8 minutes. Remove clams from shells, discard shells and place clams back in soup. Toss in parsley, crumbled bacon and serve. Yields about 1 cup per serving.  3 points per cup!


1 comment: