Monday, June 11, 2012

Black Bean and Tomato Quinoa

I didn't know what quinoa was until a few years ago when I stayed with a friend in Seattle, and she made one delicious meal after another during my visit.  I loved them all, but my favorite was a recipe with this mysterious grain:  quinoa.  The recipe she got from Epicurous became a staple for me.

While I have become more adventurous with quinoa, I still wanted to share the recipe that sparked my love of quinoa :)  Enjoy!!!

Black Bean and Tomato Quinoa


Ingredients
2 tsp grated lime zest
2 Tbs fresh lime juice
1 Tbs unsalted butter, melted
1 Tbs vegetable oil
1 tsp sugar
1 cup quinoa
1 can black beans, rinsed and drained
2 medium tomatoes, diced (I've also used a large can of diced tomatoes, drained)
4 scallions, chopped
1/4 cup chopped fresh spinach (can also use cilantro)

Directions
Cook quinoa according to package instructions.  After it's cooked, add rest of ingredients to quinoa.  Serves 4, 7 points a serving.


*The orginial instructions had more steps but it's tastes the same by making it simple :)





1 comment:

  1. Thanks for visiting my blog! I like the recipes on yours! You're off to a good start!

    ReplyDelete