Monday, September 17, 2012

Garden Chili

We had a pot-luck at Weight Watchers last week, and I was at a loss of what to bring--something healthy but tasty and easy to make.  I was at a loss of what to bring-- I could do the healthy and tasty but was a little short on time.  I was going to make my trusty stand-by:  ants on a log :) but then realized I could bring what I made for dinner the night before.

It was perfect!  People raved over this chili I adapted from A Spicy Perspective.  They loved it so much they shamed me when I forgot to bring the recipe the next week.  So here it is-- on the blog and in their inboxes.  I hope you enjoy it as much as they do.  It is super tasty (and vegan to boot)!


Garden Chili


Ingredients

  • 1 Tbs. Olive oil
  • 1 large onion, peeled and chopped
  • 4 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
  • 1 spicy pepper, seeded and chopped
  • 3 stalks celery, diced
  • 2 large sweet potatoes, peeled and chopped
  • 3 ears corn, shucked and cut off the cob
  • 2 Tbs. cornmeal
  • 15 oz. cans cannellini (white) beans, drained
  • 15 oz. cans kidney (red) beans, drained
  • 2 – 15 oz. cans diced tomatoes
  • 2 cups vegetable broth
  • 1 cup water
  • 1 1/2 Tbs. ground cumin
  • 2 Tbs. chile powder
  • 2 tsp. salt
  • Black pepper to taste 

Instructions
1. Add the oil to a large pot and set over medium-high heat.
2. Add the onion and garlic and saute for 5 minutes.
3. Add the peppers, sweet potatoes, corn, celery, and cornmeal. Stir and saute another 8-10 minutes.
4. Add all the remaining ingredients and stir well.
5. Cover, lower the heat, and simmer for approximately 20 minutes, until the sweet potatoes are soft.

Prep time: 20 minutes
Cooking time: 35 minutes

Number of servings 8
6 WW P+ a serving **to reduce points, substitute black beans for kidney beans, now 5 points a serving

6 comments:

  1. That looks yummy! Definitely something right up my ally!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What?! I have never heard of chili with sweet potatoes in it. I have to try this! How would you describe the taste?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmmm....how to describe it-- really good! It didn't really taste like a chili-- but more like a heartier soup. The sweet potatoes were great in it, but you need to make sure that they're soft. Let me know what you think and how to describe the taste :)

      Delete
  3. That looks so good. I'm sad to see summer ending, but I do love chili season and I and I love the idea of using sweet potatoes!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's wonderful that you have a blog so your friends can come back to grab your recipe! I love sweet potatoes and use a lot during cold months. Such a comfort food for me. Looks delicious and I can see why it was a big hit!

    ReplyDelete