Sunday, March 25, 2012

Cilantro Lime Shrimp

Shrimp, tomatoes, and couscous....what can be better than that?  A friend of mine has a great blog, A Gilt Nutmeg, and I printed her recipe for Cilantro Lime Shrimp weeks ago.  I was so excited to use it, with adapting it to utilize the food already in my house.

Cilantro Lime Shrimp

Ingredients
1 tbs butter
1 tbs olive oil
3 cloves garlic,  put through a garlic press
1 large onion, diced
1 jalapeno, diced (I bought jalapeno rings in a jar a while ago, so I used 5-6 rings)
¼ tsp crushed red pepper flakes
½ tsp oregano
1 can diced tomatoes (the original recipe calls for 2 diced Roma tomatoes, but I only had a can of crushed tomatoes.  Next time, I would used diced tomatoes)
2 tbs lime juice
¼ tsp salt
¼ tsp black pepper
1 pound uncooked shrimp, shelled and deveined
½ tbs cilantro cooking base (or a few pinches of fresh cilantro leaves)  

Directions
Cook oil and butter in pot/large pan over med-high heat.  When oil and butter are melted, add onions and cook for 2-3 minutes.  Add jalapeno and garlic.  Once the onions look cooked, add crushed red pepper and oregano, and diced tomatoes.  Cook about 5 minutes.  Add lime juice, salt, and pepper.  Add shrimp and cook.  It's done when it's opaque.  

I paired the recipe with couscous, and it was a great combo! 



No comments:

Post a Comment